Do you have crooked or crowded teeth? Are you concerned about the appearance of your smile? Not only are straight teeth and an aligned bite more attractive, they are healthier. Crooked teeth are difficult to clean properly, so plaque can accumulate. This plaque can cause issues like tooth decay and gum disease. Straightening your teeth can improve your oral health and give you a more attractive smile. Invisalign® uses nearly invisible aligners to discretely straighten your teeth. Most people will not realize that you are straightening your teeth at all. Invisalign is made from comfortable, plastic aligners. They can be removed when you eat, brush, and floss. But is Invisalign right for you?
Invisalign can be used for a number of alignment and bite issues. The main issues that Invisalign can correct are as follows:
• Gapped teeth: Gaps between the teeth can lead to increased risk of periodontal disease.
• Overbite: The upper teeth bite over the lower teeth. This can lead to gum problems, wear on the lower teeth, and joint problems.
• Underbite: The lower teeth sit in front of the upper teeth. This can prevent the proper function of the front teeth and molars, which can lead to tooth wear. Underbites can also lead to joint issues.
• Open bite: Some teeth are not able to make contact with the opposing teeth. An open bite can cause poor chewing and speech impairment. This can also lead to TMJ disorders.
• Overly crowded: Overly crowded teeth occurs when there is not room in your jaw for all of the teeth to fit properly. Crowding can lead to plaque accumulation, tooth decay, and an increased risk of gum disease.
• Crossbite: The upper and lower jaws are both misaligned. One or more of the upper teeth will sit on the inside of the lower teeth. This can lead to tooth wear, gum disease, and bone loss.
If you have a dental issue that is not addressed here, please contact your dentist for more information.